Monday, March 15, 2010

Tai Lam Country Park hike part II (Photo-essay)

Before anything else: a friend wrote to me a few days ago, worried because my blog hadn't been updated as regularly as usual in the past week or so and I hadn't answered her e-mails as promptly as usual. To those others who have noticed this: it's okay... it's "just" that my mother has been visiting me in Hong Kong for the first time since her triple bypass surgery and I've been busy helping her experience what the Big Lychee has to offer. (But no hiking for her though!)

Post having done such as had a lot of good meals and taken in in one tango concert, a play, two movies and one short film programme though, she departed Hong Kong earlier today. So, as a Leslie Cheung CD plays in the background, here's returning to my goal of sharing some of the photos taken on my hike back on a hot Hong Kong day -- one that will be remembered for yielding plenty of great views and other sights... and causing my hike companion to come down with heat exhaustion due, among other things, to her having used her cloth hat to fan herself rather to protect her head from the hot sun! ;S

Spotted along our Lin Fa Shan to Yuen Tsuen
Ancient Trail hike -- one of the many types

of purple flowers that are to be found in Hong Kong

Surely it's not just me who thinks this 
 little-leaved Indian mulberry seed/fruitresembles a monkey's face?!

Far from the madding crowd
yet not that far away from civilization


Paved path no longer

Ruins of Lin Fa Shan School located in
what now is the middle of
Tai Lam Country Park

Shek Lung Kung -- a prime spot to linger
and take in amazingly scenic views


The natural rock formation appropriately known as
The Monkey on a hill overlooking Tsuen Wan


The kind of view worth risking (and getting)
heat exhaustion for? ;b

7 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

It's eerie how much the fruit resembles a monkey's face. You've got some great views.

Diana said...

Wow, that is a cool looking plant. I was at the Edison Estate in Fort Meyers, Florida yesterday (visiting family for the week-my escape from NY)--he did alot of botanical research in his post-light bulb invention years--he had some very interesting trees and plants but nothing to compare with this.

YTSL said...

Hi Alice Audrey --

Glad to know it's not just me who thinks that about that fruit! :)

Hi Diana --

One of the joys of hiking in Hong Kong is looking about and seeing the interesting natural sights around me. Just this past Sunday, my two hiking companions and I spent about 10 minutes staring in awe at a large flowering tree that had attracted tons of butterflies, bees and other insects.

And near hike's end, we came across a whole flock of really interesting long legged birds making themselves comfortable in the shallow water of Three Fathoms Cove. And to think some people think Hong Kong is just a concrete jungle... ;b

sarah bailey knight said...

hi ytsl,

The mulberry look like extra-terrestials to me. They're hiding in the greenery waiting for a chance to take over the world....... beginning with Hong Kong.

Was it windy when you took the no more paved path photo? I like that photo a lot.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Teehee re your take re those "monkey" seeds/fruits. And no, I don't recall it being particularly windy when I took the photo of the paved path photo. (Really, my overwhelming memory of that day was it was hot -- 32 degrees Celsius hot.) But am glad you like it a lot. :)

Diana said...

YTSL-I love nature--especially when it doesn't bite or sting me. :)

YTSL said...

Hi Diana --

Apropos of your comment: the bugs came out of hibernation for my hike last Sunday... and I got bitten three times on my right hand while taking photos!!! ;S