Monday, June 7, 2010

My fourth and final Po Toi photo-essay


The proverbial "they" say that time flies when you're having fun. While that may be true, it's also the case when time flies when you're busy. In any event, it's with a bit of a start to realize that it was close to a month ago now that I started putting up my Po Toi photo-essay series. So, however many and wonderful are the photos I have from my trip to that southern Hong Kong island last November, I think this had better be the final as well as the fourth photo-essay about it:-

First, a quick visual reminder that Po Toi
is one
rocky island -- and that the day I visited
was one with wonderfully blue skies

If it hadn't been signposted, I'd have not spotted
the natural formation known as Coffin Rock
...

...and this especially as scenic views like these
were to be had as one came down
the 188 meter hill
one previously ascended from the other side


Another scenic view from along the same trail
but from
closer to sea level

One last interesting Po Toi rock formation --
conch rock (which looks more like a snail to moi)!


As one might expect (given its fishing community),
Po Toi is yet another Hong Kong island

with a
Tin Hau Temple

Another view of Po Toi's
Tin Hau Temple
and other sections of the island

As the day drew to a close, it came to be time
to bid au revoir to this wonderful island
(not least since the island's ferry service
doesn't run as frequently as one might like!)

...but we'll be back before too long, I'm sure! ;b

5 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

Hi ytsl,

I've enjoyed your Po Toi photos. This Tin Hau Temple doesn't look as spiffy as some which adds to its appeal to me.

ewaffle said...

The bright sunshine is unforgiving in showing all the flaked paint, rust and exposed primer--but it is a lovely looking temple.

As is often the case I am very taken with the dragons--so these resemble sea serpents more than others? They see to.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Glad you enjoyed the Po Toi photos. Re its Tin Hau Temple: it's on the modest side but actually have seen even more modest temples in Hong Kong -- which, in general, are smaller and less grand than what I was used to in Penang.

Hi ewaffle --

Being by the sea, I guess all that seawater and salt in the air can be pretty corrosive. As for dragaon resembling sea serpents: well, the ones in Hong Kong tend to be of the aquatic nature...

http://www.bcmagazine.net/hk.bcmagazine.issues/bcmagazine_webissue234/03dragon.html

Maya said...

Hi YTSL, at first glance I thought the rock formation looked like a camel's head, but with closer inspection I could see the conch.

YTSL said...

Hi Maya --

Interesting note about the camel's head resemblance! And yeah, I initially had problems seeing the conch resemblance myself but after forcing myself to be more imaginative... ;D