Thursday, September 6, 2012

Beautiful Sankeien Garden (photo-essay)


On my trip to Japan in September 2011, I visited Tokyo's Rikuguen and Kiyosumi Gardens.  My experiences strolling about in both those gardens were so memorable and positive that I decided that I'd have to visit another garden on my next trip to the Tokyo area. 

As it so happens, I didn't make it to a Tokyo garden on my most recent vacation.  However, I did spend several hours one afternoon in Yokohama's Sankeien Garden, which -- like Rikiguen and also Himeji's Koko-en Garden -- is on Frommer's Japan's Best Gardens list.  

As my previous blog entry showed, I spotted several critters while strolling about in that lovely as well as sizable garden that was created by Yokohama businessman Sankei Hara between 1902 and 1922 (but also contains a number of far older buildings that were transported to the garden from as far as Kyoto). And now here's offering up some photos of scenic vistas of that same stroll garden that I really did have a wonderful time visiting (and actually consider to be my favorite of all the gardens I've visited in Japan):-

The view across the main pond from 
near the main entrance of Sankeien Garden

 
A closer view of the Three Storey Pagoda of Old Tomyoji
(built in 1457) that was moved from an abandoned temple
in Kyoto Prefecture all the way up to the top 
of a hill within Sankeien Garden

Lotus flowers, leaves, etc. in the nearby lotus pond

Idyllic looking Rinshunkaku, a feudal lord's villa 
built in 1649 (and moved to Sankeien in 1917)

 Choshukaku -- another beautiful building 
(this one built in 1623) in a pretty setting 

 Puppet Ponyo -- who of course went again with me to Japan 
-- posing near the Three Storey Pagoda of Old Tomyoji (which 
currently is the oldest wooden pagoda in the Kanto region)

Another scenic main pond area vista

And yes, however hot it may have been, I still also
am thankful for that day's blue skies and clear air :)

7 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

hi ytsl,

I must go here!. Love the photo of the Choshukaku building. And the lotus photo is cool too. I used to think if I got a tattoo I'd want one of an open lotus flower & leaves on the top of my foot.

Elle @ eGardenSheds said...

Wow! It is indeed beautiful. I am mesmerize by it's beauty. It is indeed in my bucket list. Cool!

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

I do think that you'll enjoy visiting Sankeien Garden. Be warned that it can be difficult to get to -- a long bus ride from Yokohama main train station and then a 10 minute or so walk to the garden from the bus stop, that kind of thing -- but think it really is worth it.

Hi Elle --

Can't decide if you're a spammer or not but will let your comments stay on this blog as at least they seem more relevant than many (other) spammers!

just me said...

Nice :)

I didn't do any of the scenic stuff in Tokyo on this trip. I just ate A LOT. :)

I did go to Hokkaido though and there were tons of flowers and the whole place just looks lovely.

Looks like you enjoyed your most recent Japan trip... cool. :)

YTSL said...

Hi "just me" --

I ate a lot in Japan too but ya, I did a lot of sightseeing too! As I told my mother, I walked over 20,000 steps each full day that I was in Japan... but I also went to Tsukiji twice for morning sushi, among other things! :D

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, this is a wonderful photo collection. I love visiting Japanese gardens. There's something so peaceful. All the elements that make up these lovely gardens exist in such harmony with each other. I'm so glad to see Puppet Ponyo make an appearance in such a beautiful setting.

Have a wonderful weekend.

YTSL said...

Hi Trekcapri --

I'm glad you like my photos and share my love for visiting Japanese gardens -- AND Puppet Ponyo! :)

BTW, I've noticed that the blogroll widget on your and others' blogs failed to update my blog entries. I actually do have a Photo Hunt entry up this week -- but somehow my doing the "scheduled to publish" thing affected the blogroll updates!