Tuesday, December 4, 2012

From Ngong Ping down along the path to Shek Mun Kap (Photo-essay)

The same weekend that I took Collecting Tokens' Alejna on a hike from Wong Shek Pier to Chek Keng, I went with my then regular hiking companion on a trek that, funnily enough, started at Ngong Ping, where my past Sunday's hike ended!  

Rather than go on the Ngong Ping 360 Rescue Trail that day, however, we opted to partly go along the Nei Lak Shan Country Trail to Tung Shan Fat Mun (i.e., East Mountain Dharma Door/Gate) and then down to the village of Shek Mun Kap via Tei Tong Tsai. And suffice to say that this route was a good deal easier -- and consequently offered up more opportunities to generally take in all manner of sights -- compared to Sunday! ;b

One of the more beautiful lantana blooms I've seen

I love the black and white patterning on this butterfly's
body as well as its wings

View of the Big Buddha and 
a partly mist covered Lantau Peak

View of parts of the trail I hiked last Sunday! :b

 So many people visit the Big Buddha but so few venture just 
a kilometer or so away into the surrounding green countryside

A flowering plant that looks more exotic to me 
than the much more commonly seen lantana

A small spider in the middle of the large as well 
as complex web it had woven

A larger spider hanging from its own
less intricate but still also beautiful web

To be continued (and yes, I did spot some more bugs along this hike... ;b)!

3 comments:

alejna said...

Lots of great photos, as always! But I am particularly taken with the last spiderweb photo. I don't ever recall seeing a spider web with a grid pattern like that! It looks like a fishing net.

baroness radon said...

You had to include spiders!

YTSL said...

Hi Alejna --

I see my share of that kind of spider web but the spider on it in that photo is what I find unusual as in Hong Kong, I'm more likely to find golden orb weaver spiders:-
http://webs-of-significance.blogspot.hk/2011/07/spiders-galore-over-on-lammas-southern.html

Hi baroness radon --

But of course! ;b