Saturday, March 16, 2013

Footprints and Watch Sunsets or Sunrises (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


I came across an image long ago of a solitary set of footprints in the sand accompanied by a quote about how "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again." 

For some reason, that particular combination of image and quote has stuck in my mind so strongly over the years that whenever I see a solitary set of footprints in the sand (like I did when turning to look back midway through a stroll one afternoon along Cheung Sha beach), I get to thinking of them.  Amazing re the deep impression and impact certain images and words can make on one, right?

On a less philosophical note, Gattina's choice of Photo Hunt theme for this week (as opposed to Sandi's) got me thinking about how I really am not an early riser. So even while I think sunrises are lovely, I hardly ever am awake when the sun and sky put on their early morning show!  (For the record, the sunrise shot that's the third photo from the top of this blog post was taken in Ludwigshafen, on the first morning of a German vacation I took back in 2010 -- and the reason I was up so early is because I was jetlagged!!) 

On the other hand, I've viewed my share of sunsets.  Often I do so when I'm on a vessel or in a vehicle (the middle photo at the top of this blog entry was taken from a bus, by the way) but I also have paused at a spot in order to enjoy the late sun and sky show that I think I've come to love even more since my shutterbug took hold in earnest! ;)

15 comments:

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, a wonderful quote and a great photo for it. Very thought provoking. I can see why it stayed with you over the years.

I tend to see more sunsets than sunrises too. :) You captured two very beautiful images of both.

Have a wonderful weekend.

MaR said...

Loved the quote too! and lovely shots, I am not an early riser either so I don't have any sunrise in my archives...
Happy weekend!

photohunters

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

That person walked very fast, I released my second book.

Gattina said...

Finally the two themes worked very well together ! Beautiful shots !

Carver said...

You did a great job with both themes. Even when I'm up at sunrise I don't have a good view of it unless I'm driving which isn't ideal for photography so I have a lot more sunset shots.

Team Tabby said...

Lovely photos! Love the light at sunrise/sunset times.

Anonymous said...

Great shots for this week's footprint theme.

Have a super weekend.

eastcoastlife said...

I thought the sunset or sunrise would not be fantastic in a city, you prove me wrong. I am going to try taking shots of sunset amidst towering skyscrapers in crowded Singapore. :)

LifeRamblings said...

your last photo is absolutely magical.

Sreisaat said...

Excellent photos and texts, as usual :)
Like you, I'm not an early riser. Enjoy your weekend.

Sreisaat Adventures

YTSL said...

Hi Trekcapri --

Thanks as ever for reading and commenting as well as looking. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too. :)

Hi Mar --

We sound like we have a lot in common! Happy weekend to you too. :)

Hi Ann --

That person was me -- and I thought I was walking at a normal pace... ;D

Congrats on your second book!

Hi Gattina --

Well... I had to have different photos for the different themes... but I guess you approve of this post regardless! ;D

Hi Carver --

Get the feeling that most of us see more sunsets than sunrises... ;b

Hi Team Tabby --

Thank you, I'm glad you like my sunrise/sunset shots. :)

Hi JDeQ --

Thanks, and happy weekend to you too. :)

Hi EastCoastLife --

Good luck taking urban sunset shots in Singapore! :)

Hi LifeRamblings --

Am glad you like that last shot. Looking at it brings back fond memories of a great holiday in Germany for me. :)

Hi Sreisaat --

Thanks for your nice words -- and for visiting once more. :)

Annie said...

Very nice collection of photos. There's something very poignant about those little footprints.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I am also intrigued by footprints in the sand... they all tell a story!
I'm leaving my footprint here...
Happy Hunting y'all~

A @ A Changing Life said...

The footprints in the sand are wonderful! I'm like you on the sunrise problem. The only attempts I can make are in the winter when it stays dark longer. :)

YTSL said...

Hi Annie --

I find it interesting that you think that there's something re those footprints that are poignant -- and also that they are little... since they were made by me! ;O

Hi Sandi --

Something that I find fascinating re footprints at the sand near the water is how quickly they are washed away... This adds to the "I shall not pass this way again" feel I get from seeing them.

Hi A. --

Thanks for liking the footprints in the sand. And re sunrises -- even in winter, they're too early for me! ;b