Saturday, May 24, 2014

Yellow and Mirror (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


I'm sorry I missed taking part in Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunts last week on account of my being away on vacation.  Funnily enough though, two of the images I've chosen for this week could have worked for Sandi's choice of theme for last week of "water" -- and if you stretch a bit to argue that the grounds of a temple are where one would get inspired to think abstractly, then all of these images would fit Gattina's choice of theme for last week as well!

As it also happens, my choice of photos for today's Photo Hunt also happen to have been taken in the country which I visited last week -- but whereas I went to Kanazawa, Shirakawa-Go and Osaka on my recent Japan vacation, these images are of the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) in Kyoto

Should there be any doubt: That golden yellow building in the photos is indeed in the famous Golden Pavilion whose upper floors have been covered with gold leaf, and is topped by bronze phoenix ornament whose bronze is more yellow-tinged than the orange color I tend to associate more with bronze.

Set in a beautiful Japanese stroll garden, the Golden Pavilion extends over the body of water called Kyoko-chi (i.e., Mirror Pond), on which the image of the Kinkakuji often can be seen reflected.  On the afternoon I visited, the waters of Kyoko-chi was so still at one point that I also managed to capture beautiful images of clouds, the sky and surrounding foliage as well as Kinkakuji mirrored on the pond's surface.

Altogether, it was one breathtakingly stunning sight.  People who, after seeing these images, want to make a beeline for this famous Kyoto temple should realize though that it's -- understandably -- a super popular attraction and that it's well nigh impossible for you to take in this beautiful sight in silence -- since there'll be crowds of people standing beside and behind you, many of whom are not moved to silence by the Kinkakuji and Kyoko-chi's beauty but, rather, to loudly exclaim how wonderful it all is! ;)

16 comments:

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, gorgeous photos. I love the reflections in the mirror pond. And the Golden Paviolion is beautiful

Form you photos and posts, looks like you had a wonderful vacation.

Have a wonderful weekend.

eastcoastlife said...

Stunning views! Awesome shots, YTSL. Seeing such beautiful objects, you must be 心情漂亮! :)

Gattina said...

Would love to see this in real !

Photo Cache said...

the temple and it's surroundings always give you the feeling of peace. great job.

MaR said...

What a beautiful temple and pictures. It looks so wonderfully peaceful!

Aiyah Nonya said...

Well taken shots and fits the themes . Kyoto is on my travel bucket list.. Thanks for sharing . :)

YTSL said...

Hi Trekcapri --

I did indeed have a fantastic time in Kyoto -- and have to say that all my vacations in Japan have been really good and consequently left me wanting to go back. :)

Hi EastCoastLife --

Me feeling beautiful? Hmmm, I suppose that's one way of putting it! ;b

Hi Gattina --

Make your way to Kyoto then! :b

Hi Photo Cache --

Despite the crowds, there actually was a sense of peace in certain parts of the grounds -- yes! :)

Hi Marcy --

Kinkakuji is indeed beautiful but I have to say that there are other temples that I found more peaceful, including Ninna-ji, also in Kyoto:-

http://webs-of-significance.blogspot.hk/2013/10/ninna-ji-albeit-sans-omuro-eighty-eight.html

Hi Aiyah Nonya --

Thanks and yes, definitely do go visit Kyoto. It's really a wonderful place. :)

Susan Demeter said...

Beautiful captures! And yes they would have worked last week too :)

Mike said...

So beautiful. My wife and I would love to visit the temple. How awesome!

Iowa Voice

Annie said...

What a beautiful place. Your photos are perfect! I hope you had a fantastic vacation. And you are so right about Venus' right arm - very mannish, ha ha! good eye (I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out).

YTSL said...

Hi Sue --

Funny how that turned out re the photos fitting so many Photo Hunt themes, huh? ;)

Hi Mike --

I hope you and your wife get your wish of visiting Kinkakuji some day -- and while you're at it, make sure to also visit Ginkakuji (the Silver Pavilion) and many of Kyoto's other temples too! ;b

Hi Annie --

I had a lovely vacation, so much so that I'm already thinking of visiting Japan again before too long -- and mulling where to go next! ;b

Re that Venus and her mannish arm: phew, am glad to know it's not just me who thinks that. :)

magiceye said...

Cool takes! And that too for 4 themes!!!

Rajni Sinha said...

lovely pics --yes yellow and water both taken care of and both complimenting each other

YTSL said...

Hi magiceye --

Thanks, and I'm happy this post got more words out of you than usual! ;)

Hi Rajini --

Double the Photo Hunt, double the challenge, double the satisfaction when one's able to do both! ;b

Carver said...

These are fantastic shots. Great way to combine the theme.

YTSL said...

Hi Carver --

Am glad you like my photos! :)