Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Hiking from Wan Chai to Wong Nai Chung Gap (Photo-essay)

There are people who think a hike's not really a hike if part of it takes place on a paved road.  There also are hikers who aren't happy when the views during a hike include ones of high density urbanscapes.  To those folks, I can categorically: this Hong Kong Island hike which a friend and I went on one winter afternoon is most definitely not for you!

This being said, I actually enjoyed this hike that took us from the heart of urban Wan Chai up to Wan Chai Gap via the paved but also super steep Wan Chai Gap Road, then eastwards to Wong Nai Chung Gap via more conventional (i.e., generally unpaved) hiking paths

As a matter of fact, the Wan Chai Gap to Wong Nai Chung Gap section of the Hong Kong Trail is actually one of my favorite easy option hikes in Hong Kong -- and I've been on it at least four times already, though this was the first time that I added the added challenge and kilometers of an ascent up Wan Chai Gap Road to Wan Chai Gap (since I usually get up there much more easily via a scenic bus ride)! ;b

 Wan Chai Gap Road may be steep but it's still 
pretty popular with people seeking a bit of exercise!

One reason why it's popular is because it quickly gets one from 
the urban sprawl below to the much greener area above

 If one's so inclined, one can fairly quickly go downhill

 On that gray but high visibility day, where one could see
as far away as Lantau Island, never mind Lamma and Aberdeen,
we elected to press ahead to Wong Nai Chung Gap instead!

 Also on view along the hike were Wong Chuk Hang
and Ocean Park -- where I've been to just twice thus far! ;o

 The Hong Kong Police College in Wong Chuk Hang 
is familiar to many Hong Kong film fans 
due to its appearance in movies such as Infernal Affairs

 The only non-human animal I saw on this winter hike 
was this stray tabby cat!

I know golf has its fans (including my mother) but if I could, 
I'd turn this golf course at Deep Water Bay -- and others like it --
into land for affordable housing, and definitely before the country parks!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Did you go by the Middle Gap Road section of HK Trail or just along Black's Link from end to end?

Thanks & Best Regards,
T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

I went via the Hong Kong Trail. Have tried variations, like going along Lady Cecil's Ride and/or a catchwater but have never gone from Wan Chai Gap to Wong Nai Chung Gap along Black's Link from end to end.

Is that worth doing? On the map, it's all paved road -- and car accessible, right?

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Wanchai Gap Road -> Black's Link -> Tai Tam Reservoir was the route of my first hike decades ago.

Black's Link is sort of like Bowen Road, but with an up hill/down hill twist. It's a bit shorter than Bowen Road too. There's not too much view though as the trees are quite tall now. blocking the views wherever they can.

Black's Link is road with restristed access. Only authorized vehicles (including bicycles) could go through. It was also in the news before together with Bowen Road, when bad guys put up poisonous snacks to lure the dogs.

If following the HK Trail is concerned, you have already walked a little bit more than half of the Black's Link. The Eastern half.

BTW, do you know there are what's left of a few Japanese Tunnels along the the mud/rock path between Middle Gap Road (path of HK Trail) and Black's Link?

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

Not a bad choice of route for your first hike! I love the Tai Tam Reservoirs. I remember the first time I saw them on a hike (from Violet Hill), I was really bowled over. :)

Didn't know about the Japanese tunnels over there -- though I've seen one over the War Relics Trail over in Kowloon. Have noticed a pillbox or two in the vicinity though!

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

One has to visit your site regularly to keep up with your frequent entries! You're really on a roll, posting some good photo-essays - spring must be in the air!

And who says that urban hikes aren't interesting? This hike from Wan Chai to Wong Nai Chung Gap proves otherwise! Personally, I find these photos of buildings interspersed with greenery, just as interesting in its own way, as a deeper wilderness trek...It's kind of like ascending through a big urban garden.

Also, photos of this uphill route show what a good low impact aerobic workout it is, and much less stressful on your body compared to jogging.

It is the photo of the cat that will probably stay with me. Whenever I see a stray cat, I end up thinking about it afterwards, wondering if it will survive.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

Glad you're enjoying my blog posts. You've got me curious now: how often do you visit my blog? (FYI, I think I average about 4 blog posts a week...)

Living in a super high density part of Hong Kong as I do, I can understand the feeling some days to want to really get away from seeing any buildings for a time. But I do also enjoy the hikes when I can see some buildings -- not least because they're often the most convenient ones to get to the start of! :)

Re the cat: I tend to think it's a survivor. BTW, there are lots of stray cats on Mount Parker Road (a popular route up to Quarry Gap) -- and lots of people who go and regularly feed them! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

That was my first cub scout outdoor training trip. I was carrying a full bag of fire wood in my back pack (probably quite a few catty of fire wood). Those are for backwoods training (like how to start a fire in the wild using only matches and material found on-site), outdoor cooking, etc. I still remember it took me quite a few days to recover.

Despite the discomfort, it was fun.

T

YTSL said...

Hi once more T --

Thanks for sharing your cub scout memories! My brownie days were far less adventurour. My memories are of lots of singing and learning how to tie a variety of knots! ;b

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

In response to my previous comment, you asked me how often I visit your site. Well, years back I averaged about three times a week...But during the last year or so, my interest in Hong Kong's geography and geology has intensified and I visit Webs of Significance just about every day.

I'm interested in topographic features and rocks, not in an academic or scientific sense, but more for their aesthetic value...And your hiking and travel posts usually have interesting glimpses into nature.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

Thanks for visiting my blog so regularly! And yeah, I may have be born and bred an urbanite but I do like some nature in my life (and travels)! :)